The SOY Girls Program helps to empower young women to reach their fullest potential!
For years the Girls Program has been an integral part of our programs. Adolescent girls in our neighborhood face many challenges, from being bullied at school to feeling pressure to conform to an unrealistically thin body type. Many girls seek attention that they do not receive at home or in school. The Girls Program was created to respond to these challenges.
The SOY Girls Program is designed to support teenagers as they face life’s issues and, in particular, young women’s issues. Our goal is to offer a comfortable atmosphere where participants can gain information on the following issues:
- Nutrition and Health
- Leadership and Communication
- Academic Achievement and Educational Goals
- Pregnancy and STD prevention
- Relationships, Dating
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Rape prevention, and
- Other Life Issues
These issues are discussed in a respectful and responsible manner through workshops, presentations, guest speakers and field trips like:
- Special Field Trips for the girls, including Hiking Mt. Whitney
- Participating in College Seminars for Girls
- Academic and Peer Counseling to help girls realize their career goals
Additionally, we encourage the girls to participate in many of SOY’s other activities including:
- Hiking Excursions for fitness – once a month
- Community Service events—at least twice a quarter
- Dance Classes and the Dance Team
We also collaborate with local organizations such as Girls Inc, Camp Fire USA and Love Art& that assist us with our mission and provide workshops at SOY.